Microsoft Outlook 2003
(Turn your speakers on)
A signature refers to text to display at the bottom of each email, such as
your name, title, company, contact info, etc. You can specify a different signature
for new emails than for replies and forwards. If you're an MS Word user, think
of this feature as AutoText. You can also use Signatures to store blocks
of text (not just your name and contact info). You can then insert the blocks,
as desired, when composing email messages.
You may create a formal closing to an email containing your full name, position,
company, phone number, etc. as one entry. You may create an informal closing
to an email (like Thanks, Bob) and store this as another entry. You may
create a standard corporate response (Thank you for your interest in
....) and store it as another entry. You can choose one entry as your default
that always pops up in new email messages and insert the others, as desired,
in each new email.
Create, Delete, Or Edit A Signature
(Remember, a 'Signature' can be any block of text.)
- Select Tools from the menu bar then choose Options.
- Select the Mail Format tab.
- Click on the Signature button. The following window appears (If you
have already created some Signatures, they will be displayed in the list):
- To create a new Signature (or block of text), click on the New button.
The following window will appear:
- Enter a name for the new Signature (such as Formal, or
Informal, or Thanks, etc.)
- Choose how to create your signature, i.e. starting with a blank signature
or using an existing signature.
- Click on the Next button. The following window will appear:
- Enter your text in the body of the Edit Signature window.
- To add any formatting, select the text then click on either the
Font button or the Paragraph button, to select the desired
- Click on the Finish button when done.
- Choose OK in the Signature Picker window.
- In the Mail Format window, the last Signature you created is offered
as the default signature to be used on all new email messages. If this
is not what you want, use the list button
to select a different Signature or None if desired. (You can also
insert them, as desired, on a per email basis as described below.)
- To delete a Signature, in the Signature window, click once on the
Signature name you wish to delete then click on the Remove button.
- To edit a Signature you created previously, in the Signature Picker
window, click once on the Signature name you wish to edit then click on the
- Make your changes, as desired, then click on OK.
- Choose OK in the Mail Format window to finish.
Insert Signature In An Email Message
When composing email messages, you can insert any block of text that you previously
saved as a Signature. Here's how:
- Create a new email message.
- Select Insert from the menu bar then choose Signature.
- Click once on the Signature title you wish to insert.
(Article links available with subscription)
- Sending Email
- Formatting Emails
- Email Options