Microsoft Word 2010
Inserting a simple page number is not quite as simple as it used to be. Page
numbers are placed in headers or footers (like before) however, unlike previous
versions of Word, once you insert a page number you are automatically editing
the header or footer. Hence, it's a good idea to know something about headers
and footers before you insert page numbers.
Inserting a Page Number
- Display the Insert ribbon then click on
the Page Number button . Select one
of the following options (a subset of formats is available for the
top four choices):
Once you choose a format, you are now in header or footer edit mode. Your
document will be slightly faded and your cursor is placed in the editing area,
- Top of Page: Select this option to place the page number in a
header. Several formats are available.
- Bottom of Page: Select this option to place the page number in
a footer. Several formats are available.
- Page Margins: Select this option to place the page number in the
margin (which is imbedded in a header or footer). Several formats are available.
- Current Position: Select this option to insert the page number
at the current cursor position.
- Format Page Numbers: Select this option to change the format of
the page number and/or starting number. Note: If you want to specify a different
starting number than the physical number of the page, you'll have to learn
how to work with section breaks and page numbers.
- Remove Page Numbers: Select this option to remove page numbers.
Note: If formatting a document that is still in the old (.doc) format, this
option may not be available. You will need to edit the header
or footer to remove the number yourself.
If this is all you want, either double-click on your page (to exit edit
mode) or click on the
To format the page number, click on the Page Number button (which
is at left side of the Design ribbon now) and choose Format Page Numbers.
The following options appear:
Choose OK to finish then exit the header or footer as indicated under
step 3., above.
- Use the drop-list button in Number format to select a different
format, e.g. 1,2,3, A,B,C, etc.
- Choose to Include chapter numbers (if desired)then select the style
and separator desired.
- Under Page numbering, choose Continue from previous section
or Start at a specified number. Refer to the Section
Breaks and Page Number article for more information.